The Manager's Perspective

Monday, April 10, 2006

 

Managing management?

Management is something we learn instinctively, we are originally conniving, clever and crafty. We know how to vie for attention. We’ve tried pity, sympathy, back-stabbing the sibling and what not. Not to mention living the truism, neighbor’s envy, owners pride…The way I see a corporate environment is no different. There is a good side too. Leadership, Empathy, Team play…But few good eggs left, isn’t it? Besides, how much of a moral framework are we allowed to have in this rat race?
Anyway my humble opinion stems from a class I taught last quarter. It was christened Strategic Management but it taught gaming theory. And the strategy part over rode the management part by many laps. Interestingly enough the case-studies in there were so matter of fact that protecting one’s self interest is not a crime anymore. In the business world alliance has a very different connotation. There is no need for expectation management as vested interest is always a priority!
One principle that strongly resonated with me – ‘Look forward, reason backward.’ Corporate philosophies are over and above the jaded chess board analogy. I found an excellent ad which I included in the final exam I put my students through - I asked them to view and analyze this ad in the light of this principle:



I thought it applied so freaking well in life – Work your butt out just so you can DO NOTHING!
Now that's management, allright!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

/body>